Spiral wound gaskets are semi-metallic gaskets that are used for high temperature and high-pressure applications. The main parts of spiral wound
gasket are metallic windings and filler material.
Criteria for Selection
• Nature of fluid i.e. corrosive nature, fluid concentration et,
• Operating temperature and pressure.
• Material cost.
Materials of Construction
• Combinations of metal strip and filler are selected to suit the specific fluid media and operating conditions.
• Commonly used material for winding are Stainless steel 304, 316 and 321.
• Alternate winding materials also can be used depending upon the services.
• The material of the inner ring should be compatible with the process fluid.
• Graphite filler are recommended for very high temperature application.
• General filler material used are Asbestos and graphite.
• Gaskets with inner ring are used in vacuum service.
• These gaskets are suitable for high pipeline pressure on flat or raised flange faces.
• Spiral wound gasket is recommended with flange face finish of 63-250 AARH.
• Temperatures from cryogenic up to 1000 °C.
• High Temperature service
• Flammable Fluids.
• Corrosive fluids.
• Due to its excellent compression resilience, it is suitable for sealing spots where the alteration of temperature and pressure are frequent.
• Support rings, inside and Outside the spiral, improve the gasket’s handing, fitting and Versatility.
• Gasket are made in a wide variety of sizes and shapes.
• These are Quick to install and remove.
Construction of Spiral Wound Gasket
For proper positioning, spiral wound gaskets are provided with outer centering ring made up of Carbon Steel. Spiral wound gasket is formed
of V-shaped Metallic strip and soft non-metallic filler.
Parts of Spiral Wound Gasket are :
• Filler Material
• Spiral Winding Material
• Centering Ring (Outer)
• Inner Ring
Inner Ring : Solid inner metal ring acts as a compression stopper. To prevent accumulation of solids, reduce turbulent flow of process fluids and
minimize erosion, damages of gasket between flange bore and the inside diameter, the annular space is filled up by solid inner metal ring. –
Suitable for male and female pipe flanges.
Centering Ring : Solid outer ring accurately locates the gasket on the flange face to give the additional strength to prevent the gasket blowout
and acts as a compression limiter. In case of installing the outer ring, it is very easy to install the gasket to flange face because the end of outer
ring will touch at bolts – Suitable for use with flat face and raised face flanges. For class 900 and above an internal ring is recommended.
This gasket is manufactured to fit only the raised face surface of the flanges. Outside diameter of the gasket is designed to be slightly less
than the inside diameter of the bolt circle. It is recommended that the flanges be wrapped to prevent foreign material from "shorting out"